SAFT is a world specialist in the design and manufacture of high-tech batteries for industry. SAFT batteries are used in high performance applications, such as industrial infrastructure and processes, transportation, space and defense. SAFT is the world’s leading manufacturer of nickel-cadmium batteries for industrial applications and of primary lithium batteries for a wide range of end markets. The group is also the European leader for specialized advanced technologies for the defense and space industries. With approximately 4,000 employees worldwide, SAFT is present in 18 countries with a 2013 turnover of 624 million Euros. Its 15 manufacturing sites and extensive sales network enable the group to serve its customers worldwide. In the field of new technologies, SAFT has developed since the 1990ies Li-ion battery systems which are anticipated to play a significant role in many industries. Concerning the Li-ion expertise, SAFT has more than 15 years’ experience in the design of lithium-ion system design. SAFT is today supplying Li-ion storage systems ranging from a few kWh to several MW and MWh, into space, aviation and defense industries, to telecom networks and professional electronic equipment. Besides electric mobility, including Formula 1, hybrid and electric vehicles, renewable energies and smart grids are for SAFT a strategic item for potential business development. .
For these various markets, SAFT, a recognized expert in the field of Li-ion batteries, has developed extensive expertise in the various chemistries that are used today worldwide in the Li-ion battery systems definition and that will benefit to the success of the proposed work. In addition, SAFT is bringing its expertise of system design and battery system control algorithms. Its long cooperation with all main European power conversion companies in designing appropriate control strategies for grid integration will be an important asset for this program.
The strategy of SAFT is to be a leading partner in the elaboration of future battery system designs that will enable to bring down barriers to a large dissemination of lithium-ion batteries for residential PV and Grid
MAIN TASK ATTRIBUTED IN THE PROJECT
In WP4, Saft develops, manufacture and provides the support of Battery containers, in order to be connected on DC bus of more than 1000V. By this way, the main tasks of Saft in this WP4 are:
- To define and develop and internal architecture in orrder to go up to 1500V
- To develop and qualify components, boards, electronic, software, and electro-technical components for the range of 1000-1500V.
- To develop, qualify internal system to be able to collect information of State of Charge, State of Health (alarms) of the various components of the battery on order to ultimately be able to have an at-distance predictive maintenance, and to include the data in the system SCADA. In addition, with the data analysis, parameter will be modified on field for battery functioning optimization and global system efficiency improvement.
- To manufacture 2 battery 20feet -containers: 1 container of 1 power exit of 1MW, and 1 container of 2 power exits of 1 MW each: a total of 3 x 1MW. The prototypes are adjusted to have an expected life adjusted to 5 years, to have some margin for the 2-years demo of the project.
- To conduct Factory Acceptance test, in-Site acceptance Tests, and support during the on-field testing.