Enel Green Power is the Enel Group company that develops and manages energy generation from renewable sources at a global level, with a presence in Europe, the Americas and Africa. ENEL is a major global operator in the field of energy generation from renewable sources, with an annual production of 29 TW/h, meeting the energy consumption of over 10 million families and avoiding 16 million tonnes of CO2/year. EGP has an installed capacity exceeding 10 GW (2015), produced by around 700 plants in 15 countries and with a generation mix that includes wind, solar, hydro, geothermal and biomass. Thanks to its €8.8 billion of investments for growth, EGP is set to increase its installed capacity by more than 7,000MW by 2019. EGP operates some 740 plants in 16 countries, in Europe, the American continent, Africa and Asia. This geographical diversification allows it to maximise the strategic growth options, while minimising regulatory and country risk.
While in Europe ENEL wind plants overcome 3000 MW of capacity, in Spain ENEL has 1710 MW of power consolidated in 97 renewable energy facilities, located around the whole country, most of which (1,615) from WIND.
ENEL will participate to the project through its departments of Innovation & Sustainability, Energy Management, and Engineering & Construction who will bring their specific expertise into the demo sites design, realization, and validation. ENEL will participate also through ENEL Produzione, a company under control of its sole shareholder Enel S.p.A., involving its Energy Management department, being responsible of for market offers of all Enel power plants in Italy: the branch owns the large Hydro and pumped Hydro Power plants and makes available for the scope of the project its San Fiorano pumped hydro power plant.
ENEL is interested in exploiting the capabilities of RES + Energy Storage systems to support efficient transmission grid operation through the provision of innovative energy and system services, with the final aim of guaranteeing energy security of supply in different geographical and social contexts. Besides ENEL is interested in evaluating the capabilities of conventional plants, hydro plants and loads to provide innovative services to the transmission grid taking advantage of new actors of power system as aggregators and prosumers.
MAIN TASK ATTRIBUTED IN THE PROJECT
- ENEL will participate mainly to WP5 and WP6 making available two power plants for the project demonstration phase: the Potenza Pietragalla WIND+Storage plant (WP5), and the San Fiorano Pumping Hydro plant (WP6).
- ENEL will contribute to the design, execution and operation of the demonstrators interfacing the other system actors (TSO, aggregators).
- In the frame of the project, ENEL will support the assessment of services to be provided by flexible resources, deal with the upgrade of local resources to enhance flexibility and ensure the specification and design of EMS and aggregation platform fits with the potential business models and system architectures needed for the development of aggregation business.
- In WP5, the Energy Management area will support the integration of flexibility resources, either being loads (DSR) or generation units, with the central EMS platform. Besides the Pietragalla WIND+Storage plant will be made available to demonstrate the capability of RES plants to provide flexibility services, thanks to the storage integration and the availability of an advanced Energy management System.
- In WP6, the ENEL pumped hydro power plant of San Fiorano will be made available for demonstrating the cross border flexibility concept. The main role of ENEL will be to ensure compatibility of technical specification of new algorithms with plant control system and to actively participate to the demonstration phase with both plant, control room and bidding personnel.
- ENEL will also contribute to crossing WP, as WP8 and WP9, bringing its experience as global operator.